Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Using Your Book as a Tool to Promote Your Business

Did you know that there are many simple, fun and inexpensive ways to promote and generate $$$ with your book? I always keep a dozen copies of So, You Want to Write! in my car, two copies in my carry-on when I travel and a copy in my handbag. Why? When I meet someone at a networking event, business meeting, trade show, on an airplane or social event, that magic question always comes up – “What do you do for a living?” This is the perfect opportunity to introduce yourself and your book.

While you are talking about your businessm, give them a copy of your book! Write their name and a few words on the title page, sign it and enjoy the amazed look and grateful words that follow. This is a wonderful way to build rapport and begin a relationship. I learned from Chien Wang, author of It’s Who Knows You, (http://www.chiensworld.com/) and Professional Networker Extraordinaire that networking is about building lasting relationships. This is also the secret to building your business.

I love giving my book away. For me, it creates an opportunity to help someone who wants to write a book, or even more magical, I give that person an opportunity to help someone they know. It’s true, It’s Who Knows You!

Here’s who you can give copies of your book to:

  • People you meet – use as a tool to build rapport and begin a relationship
  • People who can promote you – your book will remind them of you
  • People who know people who want your services – give them books to give away
  • Prospective clients – Your credibility, level professionalism and commitment to your business gives you a huge edge over your competition.

I also give free copies of my book to:

  • Any and all children I meet who express an interest in writing
  • Parents of children who are interested in writing
  • Libraries I visit
  • Senior Centers and Assisted Living Homes for Seniors
  • Whoever is next to me on an airplane, shuttle or bus
  • Trade show exhibitors

Depending on the cost and number of copies you have on hand, it may not be cost effective for you to give your book away. No worries, there are lots of ways to sell your book and promote your business – for free. I’ll talk about that in my next blog.

In the meantime, think about how you can use your book to promote your business and let me know how I can help you write yours!

To your writing success!

Ann

No comments: