Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Promoting Your Book

One way to get great exposure and promote your book is to speak to groups. Yes, it’s very cool to be paid a big speaking fee, but at the beginning you may want to consider speaking for free to local groups like the Rotary, Kiwanis, Chamber of Commerce and local networking groups.

Are you afraid to address a group or feel you are not polished enough to speak yet? The National Speakers Association (http://www.nationalspeakersassociation.com/) and Toastmasters (http://www.toastmasters.org/) are great organizations to hone your speaking skills and learn how to build your speaking business.

I joined the Chamber of Commerce in La Quinta where I live. It’s a small community near Palm Springs, California. Using the premise of “It’s Who Knows You”, I have attended monthly Chamber events, Mayor’s Luncheons, Breakfast Meetings and Civic Events. Wow! Not only has it been fun but I have met lots of people who know people who want to write a book!

I experienced the same results with The Relationship Building Network, http://www.rbnexpo.com/, a professional networking group in Orange County, California. Even though it’s a 2-hour drive away, I like the professionals in the group and the networking opportunities the organization provides. I signed up 5 new authors for my Author’s Boot Camp as a result of 2 members (who did not have an interest in writing a book) referring their friends and colleagues to me.

I have learned that having a book is a great way to show your prospective clients that you are an expert in your industry and committed to your craft. What a great way to build rapport and create trust.

Let me know how I can help you write yours!

To your writing success!

Ann

No comments: