Saturday, January 07, 2006

How Long Does it Take to Write a Book?

One of the top 3 questions I get asked most often about writing a book. (The other two are: How do I get started? and How many pages does it have to be?

In a nutshell and without any sugar coating, the answer is very simple: as long as you decide it's going to take.

Whether you are writing a book to build your business or it is something you have always wanted to do or a dream you want to fulfill, the length of time that it will take you to write a book all comes down to 3 simple things: preparation, commitment and dedication.

For some people, the idea of writing a book is as formidable a task as climbing a mountain. For others, it’s not the work itself that is so daunting, but the time required to complete it. After all, who has time to sit down and write a book?

I’ve asked hundreds of people, “How long do you think it takes to write a book?” The typical answer is anywhere from 3 months to a year. I then ask, “How long do you think it would take YOU to write YOUR book?” These responses are very different. “Oh, I don’t know, 6 months, 1 year, a decade. I would love to write a book, but I don’t have the time! People are always surprised to learn that writing a book doesn’t have to take a long time and amazed when I tell them that they can complete their book in just a few weeks.

I recently attended a writing class and one of my classmates asked, "How long will it take me to write my book?" The instructor, a published and well-known author, responded, "about 2 years". As I was squirming in my chair, pressing my lips together so I couldn't blurt out something I would regret, she went on to say that she devoted 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, to writing her book. Yikes! Who has 7 hours a day to write?

I have found that for many aspiring authors, writing a book seems like a giant monster and believe they need to set aside a big block of time to capture it. The truth is, you can write your book in just 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week and complete it in a reasonable amount of time. Honestly, it doesn't have to take huge blocks of time, a summer vacation or a sabbatical.

It all comes down to preparation and planning. Have you ever heard the riddle, "How do you eat an elephant?" -- one bite at a time. It's exactly the same for writing a book, you write your book one bite at a time. I've helped authors write 54 books in 2005; 33 of them in as little as 3 days, the rest were written over a period of 4, 6 or 8 weeks.

It call comes down to preparation, planning, committment and execution.

To your writing success!

Ann

No comments: